C. elegans Injection Services
We offer 2 types of injection services:
- Inject Express: you provide the injection mix and we complete the injections and return the worms to you for screening in less than a week.
- Custom Injection mix: you provide the gene editing idea and we provide you with expertly designed reagents to begin your transgenic project.
Successful vs. Unsuccessful Injections
Examples of successful (left) and unsuccessful (right) injections. The video captures COP1403 (unc-18) injections.
Custom Injection Service Process
- Strain Growth & Materials Receiving:
Your injection materials are catalogued upon receiving in our lab, and your strain is maintained under proper conditions by our expert staff in preparation for injection.
- Microinjection Of Adult Gonads:
Our experienced injectionists perform microinjections to your specifications.
- Survival Verification:
We confirm the survival of the injected animals 24 hours after injection and then prepare for shipping.
Inject Express vs. Custom Injection Mix
|What Do You Receive||One set of 10 worms, injected with a plasmid or DNA mix prepared and provided by you||Professionally prepared injection mix containing all of the required molecular components to achieve your desired custom genetic edit.|
|Ability to generate DNA mix and/or plasmid constructs for injection.||None|
|Ability to screen and select final desired strain(s).||- Technical skill for proper injection;
- Access to microinjection rig;
- Ability to screen and select final desired strain(s).
|Your Molecular Design Time||High||Low|
|Your Injection Time||Low||High|
Inject Express Service Details
Inject Express is a fast and affordable way to turn your prepared plasmids into C. elegans strains. You provide the injection mix and we complete the injections and return the worms to you for screening in less than a week.
- Send us your plasmid and we will prepare it using our proprietary clean-up method proven to increase transgenic yield.
- We will then complete your injection mix with your choice of co-markers.
- Injections are completed in sets of 10 worms.
- Injected worms are checked at 24 hours post injection for survival, and all surviving animals are sent to the client.
- We recommend 1 set of worms injected for extrachromosomal array projects and 3 sets of worms injected for MosSCI and CRISPR projects.
- The Injection Mix Preparation fee applies to each injection mix.
Custom Injection Mix Service Details
- Send us your gene editing idea.
- Our expert staff will work collaborate with you to design an injection mix that meets your needs.
- We prepare reagents containing all of the required molecular components to achieve your desired custom genetic edit.
|Inject Express *||$325 and up||1 week**|
|Custom Injection Mix***||$950 and up||2 weeks and up|
NOTE: Additional charge applies for large constructs (determined by project type). Prices above do not include shipping charges; you may opt to use your own shipping account and/or provide a prepaid shipping label.
*Inject express denotes one set of 10 injected worms.
**Inject express using a client-provided strain will add 1 week to the total injection project timeline, for a final timeline of approximately 2 weeks.
***Custom injection mix is available for any of our standard service offerings and edit types, including CRISPR-based edits, MosSCI edits, Extrachromosomal Arrays and tagging.
Preferred: you provide your own FedEx, UPS, or DHL account or a pre-paid label.
Ship via FedEx by Invivo Biosystems: $100 domestic; $200 international. Due to shipping time requirements, USPS cannot be used to ship Inject Express projects.
Other Injection Services
Candidate lines service
- You provide the gene editing idea, we design the reagents, complete the injections and provide animals who have passed our first round of screening.
Need an alternative C. elegans strain injected?
- We can do it! We need an additional week to grow a population suitable for injection.
- A Strain Preparation fee will be applied once per strain.
- The option to inject into N2, unc-119 (ed3) null, unc-18 null, or various MosSCI strains (ttTi5605, cxTi10882, ttTi14024) is included at no additional charge.
- Due to temperature requirements, we recommend that we keep your miniMOS projects at our facility post injection (as opposed to shipping the following day) to ensure a higher chance of success.
- Heat shock screening and shipping of surviving lines can be completed for an additional fee.
In the event of low transgenic yield, we are happy to provide troubleshooting for your injection mix.
Inject Express Publications
Pharmacological and functional similarities of the human neuropeptide Y system in C. elegans challenges phylogenetic views on the FLP/NPR system
Miron Mikhailowitsch Gershkovich, Victoria Elisabeth Groß, Anette Kaiser & Simone Prömel. Cell Communication and Signaling volume 17, Article number: 123 (2019).